Unless you’ve been living under a rock, chances are you’ve heard of Etsy, a global online marketplace for buying and selling handmade, custom, vintage, and unique items. You might even be one of the 96 million people who actively purchased from Etsy last year, or one of the 7.5 million sellers who sell goods through the platform. Needless to say, Etsy is where you want to be if you’re looking to get your small business in front of millions of people daily.
Whether you’re an experienced Etsy seller or you’re just starting out, we’ve rounded up more than 75 Etsy stats you’ll want to consider as you start and/or grow your business this year. So if you’re looking for Etsy sales statistics, demographics about its buyers and sellers, or maybe even just some general facts about Etsy, you’ve come to the right place!
75+ Etsy Statistics To Keep In Mind For 2022
Etsy Buyer Stats
From handmade decorations for my sons’ birthday parties to digital artwork downloads to unique gifts for family and friends, Etsy is my go-to spot for everything under the sun—and clearly I’m not alone. So if you have something that can be sold on Etsy, don’t underestimate the potential audience for your storefront. Check out the Etsy buyer stats below to see what I mean.
- The number of Etsy buyers grew 18% from 2020 to 2021, with 96 million users making at least one purchase in 2021.
- More than 61 million new and reactivated shoppers joined Etsy in 2020.
- Etsy.com’s audience is 45.99% male and 54.01% female.
- 25- to 34-year olds make up the largest age group of visitors.
- About 47% of traffic on Etsy comes from direct traffic (those going directly to the website), while 39% of traffic comes from organic search.
- International sales increased 145% in the fourth quarter of 2020, driven by increased international marketing.
Studies: Bridging The Gap Between Artists And Buyers, Number Of Active Etsy Buyers From 2012 To 2021, Audience Demographics, Etsy Statistics: Buyers Demographics, Revenues, And Sales, and Etsy Shopper Stats: March 2021.
Etsy Seller Stats
If you’ve been on the fence about starting your Etsy business, keep this in mind: Etsy has eight main categories, 600 sub-categories, and 2,000 smaller sub-categories—so chances are, whatever you sell will be a good fit for the platform. But while you may have the opportunity to bring in thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars a year when your Etsy shop is marketed correctly, you’ll definitely want to keep in mind the fees sellers are required to pay so you can plan and price your items accordingly.
For other useful information to keep in mind when selling on Etsy, see this roundup of seller stats:
- The number of active Etsy sellers grew from 4.4 million in 2020 to 7.5 million in 2021.
- Sellers on Etsy sold $12.2 billion worth of goods in 2021.
- The median age of an Etsy seller is 39 years old.
- 86% of Etsy sellers are female.
- 56% of Etsy sellers have college degrees.
- 95% of sellers run their Etsy shop from home.
- Around 69% of sellers consider their Etsy shops as businesses.
- 51% of Etsy sellers work independently, with their creative business as their sole occupation.
- 57% of Etsy sellers have a job outside of their Etsy shop, and 36% of Etsy sellers have full-time employment elsewhere.
- 17% of Etsy sellers’ annual household income is under $25,000, and 45% started their sales on Etsy.
- The median household income for Etsy sellers is $56,180.
- 63% of sellers started their Etsy shop as a way to supplement their income.
- On average a seller has 26 products listed for sale, but overall there are 127.2 million products listed by sellers.
- 65% of Etsy sellers earn less than $100 per year from their online stores.
- The most successful Etsy shops make $10,000 per year or more.
- As of May 5th, 2022, CaitlynMinimalist had the most sales—more than 40,700—in the previous 30-day period.
- 82% of Etsy sellers aspire to increase their sales in the future.
- 69% of Etsy’s sellers do not plan to employ more people, and 65% would not take out a loan to expand the business.
- 38% of Etsy sellers are international, with 30% from the United Kingdom.
- Fifty countries had at least 100 new sellers join during the month of May 2020.
- Etsy has sellers from 234 countries.
- As of June 2020, 14% of all U.S. Etsy sellers were based in California; overall, 62% of the platform’s sellers were based in the U.S.
- In 2021, the states with the most Etsy sellers were: California (more than 465,000), Texas (337,000), and Florida (302,400).
- 39% of Etsy sellers live in a rural area.
- In 2020, 85% of Etsy sellers were in the handmade segment, of which 25% was made up of home & living items.
- In 2020, homewares/home furnishings was the top sales category on Etsy.com, generating $3.2 billion U.S. dollars in GMS.
- All vintage items sold on Etsy are at least 20 years old.
- Based on lifetime units sold, 60% of the top 1,000 Etsy shops sell craft supplies.
- Etsy’s core sections are handmade, vintage, and supplies. Home, art, and jewelry were the most popular categories during COVID.
- At least 15% of Etsy gross merchandise sales are from the crafts category.
- As of April 2022, Etsy charges sellers a transaction fee of 6.5% per purchase and a 3% payment processing fee.
- Etsy’s top sellers are required to pay a fee of 12% without any possibility of opting out.
Studies: Self-Identification And Motivation Of Etsy Sellers As Of 2021, Number Of Active Etsy Sellers From 2012 To 2021, Bridging The Gap Between Artists And Buyers, Number Of Active Etsy Sellers From 2012 To 2021, Leading Sellers On Etsy Worldwide As Of May 2022, By Number Of Sales Transactions, Number Of Etsy Seller Jobs In The United States As Of 2021, By State, Fees Charged For Running A Shop And Selling On Etsy As Of April 2022, Most Popular Purchase Categories On Etsy.Com In 2020, Based On Gross Merchandise Sales, Distribution Of International Etsy Sellers As Of June 2020, By Country, Most Popular Categories Among Handmade Etsy Sellers Worldwide As Of June 2020, By Share Of Sellers, U.S. States With The Biggest Share Of Etsy Sellers As Of June 2020, Total Items Listed, Selling Handmade Products, Thousands Of Etsy Sellers On Strike, Etsy Sales More Than Double In May, Of Course Etsy Launched Etsy Studio, Etsy Statistics: Buyers Demographics, Revenues, And Sales, All You Need To Know About Etsy: Interesting Facts, Stats & Achievements, and Etsy Sellers Tend To Be Young, Female And Educated
Etsy Company Stats
If you’re going to be selling on Etsy (or even if you already are), it’s important to know a thing or two about the company that’s providing you a platform to sell your goods. For example, last year, 42% of Etsy’s sales were to international buyers outside the United States. So if you’re currently only selling within the U.S., you may want to consider expanding to other countries. And in April 2021, “gifts” was the most searched keyword on Etsy, with a 69% year-over-year growth. So if what you’re selling on Etsy could be considered a gift, you’ll absolutely want to include that keyword in your listing title.
Other company-related Etsy stats:
- Etsy’s was the biggest IPO ever for a New York-based start-up that is venture-backed.
- Etsy’s enterprise value is $11.43 billion.
- Etsy’s quarterly revenue growth (year over year) is 5.20%.
- Etsy’s Gross Profit (ttm) is $1.67 billion.
- Etsy’s EBITDA is $492.96 million.
- Etsy received eight rounds of funding for a total of $97.26 million.
- Etsy went through an IPO on April 1, 2015.
- Etsy’s big increase in net loss came from a corporate structure change in 2015, resulting in two non-cash accounting changes.
- In 2021, Etsy generated $1.7 billion.
- According to Etsy’s latest financial reports, the company’s current revenue (ttm) in 2022 is $2.35 B.
- In 2021 Etsy reported a net income of $493 million, up from $349 million the previous year.
- In 2021, Etsy’s revenue increased by 35%.
- Etsy’s revenue is just 10% of the total gross merchandise sales.
- In 2021, Etsy generated 75% of its annual revenue through its marketplace and 25% through services.
- In 2021, Etsy generated $12.2 billion (USD) in gross merchandise sales. Since 2015, its gross merchandise value has been growing, on average, 19.6%.
- As of May 2022, Etsy has a market cap of $10.05 billion.
- Mobile accounts for roughly two-thirds of Etsy’s gross merchandise volume.
- The U.S. is the leading market for Etsy mobile app downloads. It was downloaded more than 50 million times from 2015 to 2022.
- In January 2020, Etsy registered 800,000 downloads; in January 2022 that figure surpassed two million.
- In 2021, 42% of Etsy’s sales were from international buyers outside the U.S.
- Currently, 35% of its sales are international.
- Etsy brings approximately $75 million from paid links and advertisements.
- In 2021, Etsy invested $655 million into marketing activities, up from $500 million the previous year.
- In 2021 Etsy invested $559.3 million in its advertising activities, up from $42.2 million the previous year.
- As of December 2021, 47.7% of Etsy’s leadership roles were filled by women and 54.7% of its tech employees were male.
- Etsy was the second-largest traffic driver to Pinterest, with 3.55% of referral traffic.
- Etsy’s demand for face masks grew 20% over the last five years.
- Etsy sold $346 million worth of face masks in Q2 (2020) and $464 million in Q3.
- Etsy has been adding 200,000 new sellers for the past few months, more than double the activity before COVID.
- By November 2020, Etsy offered more than 80 million products, up from 60 million at the start of that year.
- Only 1.3% of Etsy sellers sell on Amazon Handmade.
- Etsy.com receives traffic from direct (51%) and search (38%).
- In April 2021, “gifts” represented the most searched keyword on Etsy, with a 69% year-over-year growth.
- In 2019, Etsy’s GMS of $5 billion gave the platform a 5% market share.
- Etsy’s website is available in English, French, Italian, and German.
- On December 18, 2009, Etsy acquired Adtuitive, to provide search and display marketing solutions for retailers.
- On January 22, 2013, Etsy acquired Lascaux Co., developers of social networking applications for mobile devices.
- On May 1, 2013, Etsy acquired Trunkt, an online wholesale marketplace selling artisanal goods.
- On April 23, 2014, Etsy acquired Grand St., a marketplace for creative technology.
- On June 23, 2014, Etsy acquired A Little Market, a Paris-based online marketplace for handmade items.
Take Your Etsy Shop To New Heights
There’s no doubt after combing through these Etsy stats that this platform is *the* place to be if you have a business that sells handmade, custom, vintage, or unique items. (I mean, did you catch that Etsy sales statistic above that sellers sold $12.2 BILLION worth of goods in 2021?!)
If you need help getting your Etsy shop off the ground or are looking for tools that will allow you to spend less time running your business, we have a number of template kits available to you. I’d recommend checking out the Love Your Business Template + Article Bundle, which includes templates and starter blog articles that will allow you to save time and grow your venture, as well as our Virtual Assistant Planner, which includes a number of social media Canva templates that will make spreading the word about your Etsy shop a cinch.
And if you don’t see what you’re looking for, let’s chat—we’d love to help you succeed!